Monday, April 8, 2013

Lebron James & The Kid

When LeBron left the Cavs I lost a lot of respect for him.  Prior to that I was a huge fan.  I had seen several interviews with him and I really liked him.  I was really turned off by the way he handled things with leaving the Cavs.  Now I'm not so arrogant to think that I know even a fraction of what is involved in the business of moving from one team to the next.  So I know there's a lot that I don't know.  People like to compare LeBron to Michael Jordan all the time.  Who's the better player?  I don't think there's an argument there worth discussing really!  I know Michael built a team where he was.  I think LeBron should have as well.  He didn't need a televised decision and all that went along with that, but he's a celebrity.  People love the drama of things and that's exactly what LeBron did.  He gave the whole basketball community, fans and players alike, some drama for a time.  OK - enough about all that and on to Friday night!

Friday night Brian and I went to the Bobcats game against the Heat.  We are season ticket holders so we go to a lot of games.  I love NBA basketball.  I know a lot of you don't for whatever reason and that's fine.  I do! I love to watch the benches of the teams.  It's exciting to me to see the players get into the game and I love to see how they interact and respond to the fans.  Sometimes I'll get so wrapped up in watching them that I miss parts of the game.  Friday night was no different.  LeBron and Dwayne Wade didn't play.  They entered the court late and were greeted with cheers from a packed crowd.  They took their seats behind the bench. I enjoyed watching them talk to each other and the other players.  The like watching the cool plays just like the rest of us.  Sometime in the second half of the game I saw LeBron motion for a security person to come to him.  The security guy came over and LeBron turned and pointed into the crowd.  I couldn't see what he said, I just saw him pointing.  I immediately thought someone was hassling him and he wanted the guy removed.  I was wrong!  The security guard went about 10 rows up and got this kid and brought him down to LeBron.  I saw LeBron introduce him to Dwayne and then LeBron got the kid a folded towel to sit on so he could see over the guys on the bench.  It was fun to watch them interact with him for the remainder of the game.  It was heartwarming to see all of this transpire.  I know that made that kid's night, week, month!  There was no one there videoing him do that.  He was just being kind.  He recognizes his position and influence and he was gracious to a fan.  That kid will never forget Friday night and neither will I. 

It's sad that we usually don't hear about celebrities doing things like that.  We usually just hear the bad.  I'm glad I was watching.  LeBron you have a fan again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment