Friday, May 10, 2013

Let's Ruffle Some Feathers

No better way to start off a Friday than by ruffling some feathers!  Seriously, this post may make some people mad.  I keep seeing all the posts on Facebook about Abercrombie & Fitch.  Honestly, I really don't see the big deal and here's why.

All companies market and cater to a specific demographic.  This happens from the lowest end to the highest end.  It's what companies do.  There's nothing wrong with Abercrombie doing the same thing.  The main difference is that he spoke what the company thought. 

Now many of you may think I should be offended by his words.  I mean let's be honest, I definitely can't fit into his clothes.  I'm an extremely overweight, 37 year old mom.  I have curves and rolls and there's no way I could even come close to getting them on.  However, that hasn't always been the case.  I've been the really thin girl with an amazing body.  I fully know what 36-24-36 looks like.  I've been that.  I would love to be that again, but I'm lazy.  Fat people are lazy and have no self control.  Rarely are fat people fat because they have a medical condition.  They may have a medical condition that helps to keep them fat, but it is unlikely that the condition was the culprit in the beginning. 

If you've been to school you are fully aware that there are the cool kids and the not-so-cool kids.  It's a fact of life.  To deny that is ridiculous.  If you are going to act like that offends you and goes against everything you stand for, then I say let's go through your closet and the closets of your children.  I'm sure that you want to give your children the very best (in terms of what society says is the very best) and see nothing wrong with the purchase choices you have made.  I would agree, but doesn't having $100 sneakers and $50 jeans seem excessive when there are other options out there for a fraction of the price?  What's wrong with Walmart sneakers and clothes?  Does your 8 year old really need $250 Beats and a $200 iPhone?  Probably not, but the fact is that's what the cool kids have and you want your kids to have it too!  Is a $150 fleece North Face really necessary here in the great state of NC?  Are Sperry boat shoes a must when rarely do they actually see a boat?  Don't you think that those companies know they market to the cool kids?  They may not say it, but it's definitely their intention.

I love Victoria's Secret.  First of all, they are one of the best companies I have ever worked for.  They take care of their employees.  However, they have very few things in the store that I can wear.  I can't fit into a 38 DD bra.  It just doesn't work for me.  I have never seen a VS model with some meat on her bones and I never will.  Is that intentional that they hire rail thin models and only carry specific sizes?  Of course it is.  They may not verbalize it, but that's the intention.  It doesn't bother me at all.  There are many other companies that sell things I can't wear.  It's just the way life is!

I am a very principled person!  I say live and die by your principles.  If this is truly something that goes against your principles then stick to it.  Get your kids clothes at the cheapest place possible, trade in your nice car for something cheap that gets you from A to B, sell your Coach purse, use Cover Girl make-up and carry a flip phone.  Quit having your nails done and stop buying expensive kitchen stuff.  You can join the teams that everyone gets a trophy, play Upwards bball, and home school your children so that they are never aware of the differences in status.  I see no other way to get around it. 

For me, that's just not real life and I would doubt it is for you either.  What we must teach our children is that our value doesn't lie in these things.  Our value lies in the fact that we are God's children.  We teach them that in the end that's all that matters.  We teach them that throughout life we will have high points and low points and we must learn to be content in all of them.  Show them that love doesn't come from the dollar.  When we do this, they will learn what is most important!

No comments:

Post a Comment