Thursday, April 23, 2015

Barely On This Side Of The Hill

Tomorrow is one month away from my birthday.  That means I have one month left in my 30's and that is really hard to believe.  I know, I know...many of you have gone there and it's no big deal.  It kinda seems like a big deal to me.

These next 6-8 weeks are going to be busy times at the Porter house.  There are so many firsts and so many lasts for us and it's all crammed into the months of May and June.  It's going to be an emotional roller coaster for sure.  There are going to be extremely happy times and many times of reflecting on all the years that have passed.

To start out the firsts and lasts, I visited my grandmother in her home for the last time.  Although that really doesn't seem significant because she didn't die, it's the only house I have known. I love that house and have very fond memories of spending time with my grandparents there.  She was very heartbroken about having to move to an assisted living center, but I tried to focus on the positives for her.  She has Alzheimer's.  It's sad to see a woman who was so independent and very progressive for her generation become someone who needs lots of care.  I will cherish walking around her home on Sunday as she told me stories of how she came to possess things.  Elijah was with me and it was a great day!

May brings the first time Brian and I will have an adult child.  Elijah turns 18 on the 10th.  He's always been somewhat of an adult anyway.  It's been an amazing journey watching him grow and mature.  He has such a bright future ahead of him.  I'm proud of the man he has become.  He's basically grown up with Brian and I and it has been such a delight seeing all that he has accomplished.

Of course, May brings the first time I will be over the hill.  FORTY-------how did that happen.  Where has time gone?  There are so many things that I have done, but so many things yet to do.  I'm thankful for the life I have had.  It hasn't always been easy.  Getting married at 19 and raising a family in my early 20's was oftentimes a struggle.  I can't imagine it any other way though!  It's what I wanted!  No, I don't have the job that I want for the rest of my life, but I finally graduated from college!  I get to coach high school sports, which is a dream come true.  I have close friends who encourage me and support me in the hard times and celebrate with me in the good times.  I have a beautiful family. I have a husband that is incredible.  He's more than I could have ever imagined.  Life is good!

June brings the last time I have a child in elementary school (thank God!!!)  It's hard to believe that Lilikoi will be in middle school with Lennon next year.  I'm excited about that.  Middle school brings about so many new experiences and I look forward to seeing how she grows over the next few years.

June also brings the first time we have a high school graduate!  Yay Elijah!  He has worked hard and earned a full scholarship to Nova Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale.  That's amazing and a huge accomplishment.  It is so rewarding seeing all his hard work pay off.

Firsts and lasts....so much to celebrate and so much to reflect upon!  It's going to be a crazy couple of months, but I'm excited for that.  Life is what we make it and I think we've made a pretty good one!  I'm excited (and a little nervous) as we move through these next several weeks!  I'm sure there will be lots of tears and maybe even a meltdown, but all-in-all I'm glad I've made it hear!

Welcome to wherever you are......
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment